Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My First Completed Quilt

Some of you know that I had taken up quilting as a mini-hobby a couple years ago, so I thought I would post a picture of the quilt that I finished first. This quilt uses patterns that were commonly used in the 1920's and '30's. I pieced together 13 different 12 inch squares and then added 12 more squares with the same pattern to put in between the different ones. I added borders and corner squares using fabrics already in the quilt. I stippled the whole thing, since that was the easiest for me (as opposed to quilting in specific patterns or doing a "stitch in the ditch"). Without my mom knowing it, I was making this for her. She asked me about it all the time while I was working on it, and I certainly enjoyed keeping it a secret from her that it was for her. I sent it to her last year for her birthday/mother's day gift. (Her birthday is approx. 1 week before Mother's Day.) I had to stay up pretty late into the night after the kids were in bed in order to sew.
I actually haven't done any more sewing or quilting since Alina was born in August, because I am just too tired to stay up any later than the kids. When I start getting more sleep at night, then I will stay up late to work on another quilt that I was working on before she was born. That one is a Civil War Underground Railroad quilt using darker fabrics more typical of that era, and the squares are patterns that were used as codes for the underground railroad.

3 comments:

Misty said...

Jess, it's beautiful!!! You are so talented. And patient! I think it takes a lot of patience and dedication to complete a project like that. Kudos!!!

WeAreTheHills said...

Wow! That is a really nice quilt. I've seen it at mom and dad's but I didn't realize you made it! You definitely have a lot more patience with stuff like that than I do! It's beautiful! :)

WeAreTheHills said...

Wow! That is a really pretty quilt! I've seen the quilt at mom and dad's but didn't know you made it! You definitely have a lot more patience with stuff like that than I do! It's beautiful! :)