Thursday, November 6, 2008

Jelly


We have a crabapple tree in our front yard that was annoying me last Fall because of all the crabapples that dropped to the ground. I had thought that you couldn't eat the fruit (unless you wanted an upset stomach). What's the point in having a fruit tree if you can't eat the fruit? I recently discovered, though, that you CAN use the fruit for crabapple jelly. So, this Fall, I spent a couple afternoons outside picking crabapples. Another afternoon cleaning and cutting the crabapples and extracting the juice. At this very moment, I am boiling the crabapple juice on my stove waiting for it to reach the gel point. I hope it turns out tasty for all the work involved. Here's a picture of the apple and grape jellies I have already made in the past month.
And here's the crabapple jelly. Isn't it pretty? Red. I just barely took it out of the hot water bath.

1 comment:

WeAreTheHills said...

I remember canning stuff when we were kids. I always got burned from the boiling water. I can't remember how to do that stuff now though....I wish I did though!